Twitter / it566

Monday, March 14, 2011

Drupal 7 installed on local host.

Double Quack! I installed Drupal 7 on my local host computer. Not sure if I am completed the total requirements of this assignment I must say that installing LAMP and looking (examining) through the phpMyAdmin hierarchy files made me understand how to create a database folder in phpMyAdmin SQL. Just went with the "plain jane"database that I named quaxster. So onto the journey! 

* Assuming you have apache or apache2 and LAMP requirements.
1.find the......./var folder, ..............inside /var folder right click on the www folder, rightclick properties, goto the permissions tab..............set owner and group to your username

2. Download Drupal 7 from drupal.org. I selected the 7.0 tar.gz (2.6 MB) | zip (3.05 MB)  it automatically unzipped and ready to go in my computer.


3. Rename the folder that downloaded onto your computer from "drupal-7.0" to "drupal7"  (no space).


4. Move the drupal7 into the /var folder then into www folder. The ubuntu yellow tags at the top of the window help with outlining the file extenstion which should read............./var/www/drupal7.


5. Inside this very same drupal7 folder (which is in the /var and www folder!) open the sites folder, then open the default folder, create a files folder that goes in this default folder. Thus you have /var/www/drupal7/sites/default/files. Right Click on this files folder and select properties and then the permissions tab and under the 'Others' tab, set "folder access" to 'create and delete files'

6. Whoa there Nellie!........while you are here this default folder notice the default.settings.php file (placid blue globe on a piece of paper) .......right click and copy and paste it. Rename this .php duplicated file to settings.php. I left the older default.settings.php file there with the new settings.folder.......will it hurt who knows!
 
7. Now in your 127.0.0.1/phpmyadmin for your computer go to phpMyAdmin located on the home site (click on the phpMyAdmin logo) and create a new database that Drupal7 will be housed in, I named my quaxster, yeah baby! no just quaxster. The database perimeters were plain jane and created it without all the bells and whistles.

8. Type in your web brower h*tp://localhost/drupal7......(substitute this * with a t....yup). Your computer should open a drupal installation window with a little oily guy icon. If not you have your files or folders out of order go back to step 5! 

9. Go through the Drupal install from this series of dialog boxes.

10. Until you hit the roadblock! For in the Drupal installation Database configuration it will ask you to align drupal7 with your new database you created in phyMyAdmin (step7). My database was named quaxster.


11. Drupal will ask for Data base Username: Use your phpMyAdmin username, mine is "root" as I never changed it when I installed phpMyAdmin. Yet I would prefer more edible nutrients for I am a duck!

12. Drupal will ask for for the Data base password: your phpMyAdmin password. 

13. Provide email address for Drupal updates. yada yada....complete the install.



14. I may have forgotten something in these steps..... but I got excited when I was past the hard stuff........yup yup yup







2 comments:

  1. Hey Quackster! I really appreciate the details you've included in your post. Right now I'm just trying to change the folder permissions so I can drag the Drupal7 folder into www. Did you have any problems changing permissions and ownership? If so, how did you fix this?

    ~Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey nikerdoodle! if you installed Drupal7 before you renamed your permissions may have been locked in your www folder. My www folder is now displaying little padlock icons now after I downloaded Drupal7 after the final install. Do you have the same lock icons?

    ReplyDelete