Twitter / it566

Friday, February 11, 2011

Yellow Fuzz! Success!

After 4 hours with Jason trying to figure out the marriage of At&t DSL and WRT54GS2 it finally worked at 8:45! Jason thought up the ingenious plan to download and livestream in Team Viewer 6 and we both trouble shot any errors on my computer. Jason is 31 miles from me in Knoxville off of Weisgerber and I am in Dandridge. So the distance was erased.




The Linksys admin was the tricky part, on the initial install from the Cisco Router manager install disk settings were default or erroneously change by myself weeks ago when I initally set this computer up in Windows7 then forgot about them when I coverted this machine to Ubuntu 10.10. The problem was port 80 and the remote access button. Port 80 open yet was still inhibiting outside traffic. The gray
portion of the box was white when the block was active.


Jason kept checking my computers port 80 and it was open because the diagnotic from canyouseeme.org proved that it was indeed okay. So something was limiting the access.





I subscribed to DynDNS the night before as from reading the blogs and tweets from the IT566 classmates. DynDNS was cheap $15 and had technical service that was concise. Yet the problem could not be corrected.



It finally was Jason who had found the answer at Boutell.com, in a 2008 FAQ post about "visitors seeing the router the login prompt when connecting to the host name", and lo and behold the same still holds true in 2011 and the problem was solved!!!!




This was a very valuable learning experience. I feel I learned much tonight and am ready for the challenges ahead..........Quack!

 quaxster.dyndns-blog.com

1 comment: